The family residence of the Colonnas of Stigliano was dismembered in 1831 by princess donna Cecilia Ruffo, the widow of prince don Andrea; she decided to expropriate the palazzo from her children. This event is testified by a description of all the expropriated parts of the palazzo.
These did not include two quartini rooms on the first mezzanine and most of the shops. The modifications concerned the subdivision of the rooms into several apartments to be rented. In th seventeenth century, there existed only two apartments, one on the main floor and the other on the upper floor, and all the other rooms in the mezzanines served these two apartments; in the nineteenth century these units were divided in smaller apartments, rented to different people.
The main floor was then divided into four different apartments, and thereby lost its originary architectonic identity.
The main hall and the two seventeenth-century galleries inevitably disappeared in this new arrangement, together with the decorations which had made them the most notable rooms of the house.
There is no more mention, for example, of the “lamie” (foils) painted by Luca Giordano, which probably looked inadequate to the new organization and function of the space.
The palazzo, which was put entirely for sale (the princess kept a single apartment for herself), found several buyers.